- Finished block size 12" W x 12" H
- Cotton fabrics, ribbon, thread sketching and inked details, cotton batting
- Machine pieced, appliquéd, and quilted
History of Assateague Lighthouse
The need for a lighthouse on this part of the Delmarva coast was recognized since colonial times due to shoals extending up to twelve miles offshore. The first lighthouse, built in 1833, was found by 1851 to be inadequate. Work on a new lighthouse had to wait until the end of the Civil War. The new tower, with its distinctive red and white stripes, was completed in 1867. It is 142 feet tall. Bungalows were added as residences for keepers. The light, now included in the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, is automated but still active.